Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Most Asked Question???

When I was a little girl, I loved the stories that my mother read to me. Of course, what child doesn't? By the time I was five, I was the one telling stories and by age six, began to write them. I was very intuitive, still am, and intensely creative. I think most people who are creative rather than logical, are good at many things. There are those who are only good at one thing as well.

Another thing I learned from my mother was that reading was both knowledge and entertaining. I began reading from a young age and haven't stopped. I found out that she was so very right. I have been around the world, into space, in the middle of incredible fantastical epic stories and both heartwarming and heartbreaking romances. I learned about the world of medicine, the wonders of our bodies, the terrors of disease processes, natural and holistic healing practices, hypnotism and the working intricacies of our brains. In a sense, I learned I did have a logical side, but my creative side was where I lived.  I wrote stories, poems and songs from elementary school through college and even won awards for some of it.  Reading was my escape from problems I didn't want to deal with and yet my way of learning how to deal with them. But writing, well there is nothing quite like it.

For a while, I thought I might be a little crazy and so I visited a therapist who asked me a question. This question has been put to me many times over my life and I have always answered it truthfully. Sometimes, with unusual repercussions, always with curiosity that led to more questions. What is this question? "Do you hear voices?"  I'm a writer, of course I do! And I found out, after meeting other writers, that they do, too. I'm not crazy! Wow! The voices I hear are those of the characters, begging for me to write their stories; stories that inspire, intrigue and romance readers everywhere. Stories of fantastical races, other worlds, fights for survival, vampires, werewolves, witches and ghosts, of love worth fighting and dying for. Characters who are both funny and dramatic. Characters with everyday lives, rooted in everyday situations. Characters people root for, laugh and cry with. 

So, yes, I do hear voices and I'm grateful that I do! If I didn't, there would be no stories to write. I may be a little crazy, but the world I live in is a better place because of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment